Friday, February 4, 2011

In Pursuit of Sexy Legs - Take One

I started my diet, or ''life change" (again) on February 1st. Well actually, I started on January 30th with a run/walk/being dragged by my German Shepherd around our neighborhood. February 1st is just easier to remember

My goal - SMOKIN' Legs in time for summer.

I wasn't interested in being a part of that Revolution crowd that starts on January 1st with an extreme change and within 3 days they're cursing the New Year and saying, "2012 will be the year". That's the simple answer as to why I didn't start then. The truth? I was depressed. And I can only see that now that I am no longer depressed. I was in a rut, eating crappy food and not exercising due to a medical condition where I thought exercise would only worsen my condition. Yes, believe it or not, there are some conditions/diseases out there where exercise is actually not beneficial. Syringomyelia being one of them. Google it.

So I was majorly bummed, not happy with myself at all, and I don't know what happened but suddenly I was able to pull my whiny ass out of that rut. I'm motivated again and I am feeling great, even after only 4 days of being on a "clean" diet.

So back to the point of this post. I want sexy legs and I WILL have them this year. I have been self conscious about my legs ever since my weight gain with the pregnancy of my son. He's 9. I went many, many years where I would never wear shorts in public and still today, I am not comfortable walking around with my stems out. What's the problem? Dimples are my problem. I don't like them and I want them gone. I will not be comfortable in shorts until all my little fat dimples have disappeared.

This all may sound a little superficial but it is something that has bothered me for so long and I have let all these years pass by and I won't let another. Last year, I was so close to having my perfect legs, even wearing shorts more often because my comfort level was almost 100%. We'll say 80. Plus, it was so damn hot that I would've been a damn fool to walk around in jeans or even capris during the summer months. But, then came a new diagnosis and a scare in my mind that all my hard workouts were contributing to the Syrinx in my spinal cord growing larger.

On deck for this diet - Major decrease in calorie intake and replacing crappy (delicious) foods with healthy (not so tasty) alternatives. I've got the "Healthy Eating" thing down pat as I completely changed my diet once I was diagnosed with MS in 2009 (long story). As far as exercise, I'm starting out with walking and some running here and there but I hope to build up my endurance and only run within two months. The hard part is the cold weather is torture on my lungs so it hurts like hell to run at the moment.

I'm in need of a treadmill but that'll just have to wait as those damn things are expensive. I'll also start doing squats and lunges and a few other leg exercises to hopefully whip that area into shape faster. The rest of my body is pretty good so I'm not too concerned about focusing on only one body part. Even though I know that exercising other parts of the body and weight lifting helps burn calories. I have a plan, I'm focused on the legs, so I must stick with it.

And if I can lose 35lbs in the process, that would be great!

No comments: